Tuesday, April 27, 2010

NFL Update

yes, friends, it's that time of the year. (Okay, not QUITE, but definitely after the NBA playoffs are over) You know what I'm talking about . . . the time of year when we have to pretend like baseball isn't excruciatingly boring and count the minutes until football season.

This off season has been action packed, and I'm here to bring everyone up to date.

1. Big Shady Ben
First on the docket . . . Ben Roesthlisberger . . . who I've lost all respect for. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING, BEN???? You have 2 super bowl rings . . . why the f*** are you (allegedly) doing bad things to a girl in a public nightclub bathroom? You had your buddies block the door to stop her friends from finding her . . . and then you (allegedly) somehow got the footage destroyed . . . nice one, but maaaaad shady, Ben. Mad shady. You were my backup QB on my fantasy team last year! HOW COULD YOU????? Okay, sorry people, I'm done ranting, I'm just very very disappointed in my fantasy QB who won 2 games for me last year. And unlike the steelers, I will not be keeping him on my team. A 6 game suspension severely kills his fantasy value, pick him up off waivers in week 4 or 5 . . . if you want a rapist on your team.

2. The Draft
I have a feeling that this draft class will eventually be regarded as one of the deepest in recent memory. All 4 of the big name QBs have the potential to eventually start for their teams in the next few years. Quick QB preview:

Jimmy Clausen: Of the 4, I think he landed in the best situation for him to play right away. Matt Moore will start the season, but Clausen will pass him on the depth chart, make no mistake. He's got a rocket arm, quick release, and can zip those finger breaking 15 yard bullets reminiscent of Favre in the his prime. (what am I talking about? Favre probably won't hit his prime till next year) He's got Steve Smith on the outside (also a few rookie WRs that the panthers drafted in early rounds), 2 stud running backs in Williams and Jon Stewart, and experience running a pro style offense. He won't be incredible, but he'll be solid, one of the better QBs in the league once he gets settled.

Sam Bradford: I had doubts about Bradford, but recently, I've come around on him. Something most people don't know about Bradford: He is a RIDICULOUS athlete. He was a legend in oklahoma city, where as a high schooler, he was a 3 sport star, playing football, basketball, and golf. He played AAU basketball with Blake Griffin who said "(Sam) was good-really good actually. He could shoot, he could pass, he could do it all." Bradford averaged a double double as a 6'4" point guard, and I bet he could have made it to the NBA if he had continued playing basketball. The Rams need him to start probably some time this season, and if he can stay healthy, I see this guy really becoming one of the best QBs in the league.

Colt McCoy: I think a lot of people are underrating this guy. When you listen to him talk, he's just a REALLY focused kid with a great head on his shoulders. And he's a winner, all time leader in NCAA wins. Some people question his toughness because of that fiasco in the NC, but I think he's going to be a star in the NFL. He's really similar to Drew Brees in many respects. They are both short (6'1"), but are ridiculously accurate, and both were big winners in college. He landed in a good spot with Mike Holmgren in Cleveland. He's my darkhorse pick for best QB in the draft. Quote me on that.

Tim Tebow: Okay, I'll be honest, I don't see Tebow dominating in the NFL the same way in college obviously, but the guy is a fierce competitor and a natural leader. I don't think he has the natural talent that the other 3 here possess, but He will eventually start because he's Josh McDaniels' guy now. They are going to sink or swim together. He won't be as good as the other 3, but he'll be a serviceable QB in the NFL. I do think the Broncos were a little stupid taking him that early. They might have been able to snag him in the 3rd or 4th round to be honest. Oh yeah, he's also dating THIS GIRL----------------------->>>>>

3. Offseason Movement
I'm not going to talk about the 500 trades that happened during the draft, but I will commend the Raiders for going after Jason Campbell, he's a guy that got a lot of unwarranted criticism, and he's actually a pretty good QB. And he's only 8 bazillion times better than the Jamarcus Russell.

Donovan McNabb to the Redskins: Good move for the Redskins. With some luck, they might make a somewhat strong push for the playoffs with some newly drafted OLs and Al Haynesworth on D. Hmm . . nah they wont make the playoffs without a solid RB, (Portis does not count) but McNabb is definitely an upgrade over Campbell.

The NY Jets: Oh . . my . . God . . . Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, AND Santonio Holmes? Absurd. No, I'm not going to mention LT as a good pick up. I just don't see how LT is better than Thomas Jones right now, that was a bad decision. But DEAR GOD . . . can these guys really just blitz 8 or 9 guys every down? Revis and Cromartie are about as shut-down as it gets. Taylor's still a beast of a pass rusher. Best defense in the league. BY FAR.

Anquan Boldin to the Ravens: Boldin gives Flacco another experienced wide out to throw the ball to, I expect Flacco to be a top 10 fantasy QB this year for sure.

Brandon Marshall to the Dolphins: Not sure how I feel about this. Does it increase his value or decrease it? I think it decreases it because I like Ronnie Brown more than Moreno. Marshall is still a beast though, one of the biggest, most physical WRs in the league. Just not as good as Andre Johnson.

Disclaimer: I'm no football junkie, but I do enjoy following the NFL during the season if for no other reason than there's no basketball. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't take my word too seriously on football, I like it, but I know a million times more about hoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment